Saturday, November 7, 2015

Book: Dumplin' by Julie Murphy

★★★★/★★★★★  

Every story is about your typical girl-meets-boy or the other way around. This one is no different but then I think Willowdean is not your typical girl and honestly, Bo is not your typical guy either. So I guess it's not really your typical story.

I love this one because it tells us that a girl doesn't really need to join a pageant to be her own beauty queen. That sometimes we just have to trust ourselves, wear a dress (or a smile) and walk like we don't care to have our own crown (even if it's invisible). It tells us that we don't need other people to judge us first to become confident in ourselves. I know it's easier said than done given all the eyes and opinions and whatever shit around us but trust me, the only way to really be yourself is to embrace it. Your body is a part of you, it is you, but it's not everything. So they can judge a person base on his/her body size but it's up to that person to prove them wrong.

Another thing I loved about the book were the characters. Of course I loved Willowdean because she was the kind of bestfriend I wanted to have. I know it sucks when you can't talk to your bestfriend and then you have a cabinet full of stories to tell her. Argh! So it frustrated me when Ellen wasn't talking to Will when Will had so many things to share to her. Her attitude was kind of an inspiration too. She was not ashamed of her body but it didn't mean that it didn't make her conscious sometimes. But then she can't do anything about it, even if she tried, so she just tried to ignore what other people say. Lee and Dale were also my favorites. They were those people in your life you instantly love because you feel like they understand you. It was so kind of them to help Will and her friends when they needed one. I also wanted to like Will's mother but I think Lucy was better. Anyway, let's go to Bo. He was the perfect boyfriend. Okay, Almost-Boyfriend? Fine! Bo-the-perfect-almost-boyfriend! At first I was skeptical about him but then I thought what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-a-cute-guy-liking-a-fat-girl? It's not like Willowdean was rude or a bully or a murderer for him not to like her. What I think now is that Willowdean deserved him. Then there was Mitch. Gosh, Willowdean was so lucky to have Mitch and Bo! Tsk. I think Mitch was okay too but it wasn't cool for him to just leave Will after everything. But then I guess that's how it works with guys. When a girl tells them that they can only be friends then they will just disappear like nothing happened. Too bad I really liked him. Other characters like Millie, Amanda and Hannah were the kind of friends who understand you because they can feel what you feel. Maybe in different extent or ways but they were the ones who wanted to prove everyone that they can be more than what their flaws were. I don't really know how to describe Ellen but I think she was a 50-50. I liked that she was Will's bestfriend but I didn't like that she ignored her for two months. *frowns* And Callie? Well, I didn't like her at all. 

“I guess sometimes the perfection we perceive in others is made up of a whole bunch of tiny imperfections, because some days the damn dress just won't zip.”

No comments:

Post a Comment