Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Book: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

 ★★★★/★★★★★

 “The best discoveries always happened to the people weren't looking for them. Columbus and America. Pinzón, who stumbled on Brazil while looking for the West Indies. Stanley happening on Victoria Falls. And you. Amy Curry, when I was least expecting her.”

This might not be my most favorite Matson book but I surely loved and enjoyed it! Amy and Roger's Epic Detour is a perfect summer read with an exciting road trip and likeable characters. This actually reminded me so much of With This Heart by R.S. Grey with the road trip and a cute boy for a company. Light, heart warming and entertaining, this book is one of those you will certainly enjoy.

I always love road trip stories especially because they mean exciting destinations, good music, lots and lots of snacks and road trip games! I admit I want to have a bizarre road trip myself (of course, with a cute guy with me!) and who knows someday I might write a book about my epic trip too!

“But there are two things that are absolutely necessary if you're going to be hitting the road.”
“And what are those?”
Roger smiled at me as he paused at a stoplight. “Snacks and tunes.” he said. “Not necessarily in that order.”

Amy Curry just lost her dad in a car accident. Ever since the accident, Amy found herself afraid of driving and somewhat distant from her mother and twin brother. And it didn't really help that her mother decided to move to Connecticut to start anew. Now Amy is living alone in their old house, finishing school but once it ends, she must travel to Connecticut to live with her mother. Everything is going as they planned until Amy's mother tells her she has to drive her car all the way to Connecticut because it'd be cheaper that way than to ship the car. Instantly, Amy knew there's no way she can but, of course, her mother knew it and tell her she's got her a driver who's willing to drive her. Enter Roger, Amy's childhood friend and now driver. It's awkward at first but soon Amy and Roger find themselves enjoying and taking a little detour from the route Amy's mother had planned for them. It's an epic detour with lots of music, snacks, 20 questions and spontaneous stop overs. A journey that lets both Amy and Roger realize and accept some things in life.

It’s not about the destination. It’s getting there that’s the good part.

 I love all the characters! Amy is the kind of character that is so hard not to like and she's been through enough pain. There's the guilt from the accident which she really struggles from that she can't even talk about it and then there's her issues with her mother and brother Charlie. The trip also reminds her so much of her dad which just breaks her heart because she, her dad and Charlie were supposed to go on a trip their dad had planned and was so excited about. And Amy just seems so hurt and broken I want to hug her myself! Roger, on the other hand, is so good to be true! I mean, he's a total gentleman, adorable and sweet. He takes care of Amy all throughout and I love that along the way he gets to clear some issues of his own too.

The secondary characters are also as lovely and likeable! Walcott, Bronwyn, Loenard and Lucien are a hell of secondary characters and I enjoyed them all. I think they made the book more exciting, inspiring and entertaining. Amy's short but meaningful encounter with them surely teach her a lot about some things. And Lucien? If I didn't like Roger enough, I would've shipped him and Amy! Lol. 

Tomorrow will be better.
But what if it's not? I asked.
Walcott smiled and let go of the CD. Then you say it again tomorrow. Because it might be. You never know, right? At some point, tomorrow will be better.

I loved that Amy and Roger both enjoy the trip and along the way they meet new friends, discover new things and feel new feelings. They both learn a few things and Amy finds herself slowly opening up and mending her relationship with her bother and mother. Same with Roger for he finds himself moving on from a relationship he doesn't deserve. And the romance between them is really sweet. Though it doesn't happen until the latter part, it's there. And I'm actually glad it's not an insta-love!
 
This book is really an entertaining read, has a simple plot, interesting characters and a bit emotional. I don't live in America so I also found it a bit informative with all the details about some of the states. The scrapbook part is one of my favorites too.The playlists, the pictures and notes make it more interesting and fun.

* * *
Sancho Panza. Drew repeated. It's from Don Quixote. The navigator. But listen. The thing about Magellan is the thing about most explorers. Most times, they're just determined to follow impossible things. And most of them are so busy looking at the horizon that they can't even see what's right in front of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment