Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Book: Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer

★★★★★/★★★★★

I knew they would kill me when they found out, but…” He struggled for words, releasing a sharp breath. “I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.”

I finished this book a couple of months ago but wasn't able to write a proper review until now. After loving Cinder, I decided to dive into Scarlet's world, the next installment in The Lunar Chronicles series. And I tell you guys, I'm loving this series more and more!!

Goodreads Blurb:
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

***
First of all I want to say that Oh. My. God. this book is brilliant and I. Love. It!! I enjoyed Cinder but I definitely loved this one! There are new characters in this book and I really didn't expect that Cinder and Scarlet's story will be told at the same time. I think Marissa Meyer did a good job weaving their stories together. And Scarlet with Wolf is my favorite of all! I'm not a fan of insta-love but I'll make an exception because I did enjoy the time Scarlet and Wolf spent together. They faced a lot of danger and I think that connection they have just strengthen the feelings they have for each other.

Wolf. Her tongue was parched. She tires to wet her dry lips and tasted blood. What have they done to you?
You. The word was spat out at her, full of hatred. What have you done to me?

I still love Cinder because she's still a kick-ass heroine but Scarlet is a different type of kick-ass. She's brave and strong-willed, determined to find her grandmother. When Wolf shows up, I knew where their story will end but I love it anyway. And Thorne, oh my god Thorne!! He's my favorite ever. He's adorable and witty, never failed to make me smile/laugh everytime. I also love it whenever he and Cinder banter with each other.

A relieve grin filled up Thorne's face. We're having another moment, aren't we?
If by moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are. Cinder slumped back on the floor.

As much as I want to tell you everything about this book,. I don't have time. I'm writing this in a computer shop (my computer broke down again!!!) and I need to go soon. But overall I enjoyed this book (more than the first) with all the plot twists and other surprises. Cinder's fight with Queen Levana are getting more and more interesting now that things are unraveling. I actually just finished Cress (the third book) last week and now I can say that this is my new favorite series. I think it couldn't get any better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment