Thursday, June 21, 2018

Book: The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

 
★★★½/★★★★★

“What could I become if I stopped worrying about death, about pain, about anything? If I stopped trying to belong? Instead of being afraid, I could become something to fear.”

I remember my first Holly Black book , The Darkest Part of the Forest, which I didn’t finish since I had a hard time getting into it, believe me I tried, and when I heard about her new book The Cruel Prince, I thought twice. But when I saw the cover and heard everyone raving over it, I knew I have to try again. So with a hope that I will fall in love with Holly Black’s writing this time, I decided to read it.
The book as a whole is compelling and with its beautiful cover, everyone would totally love it. With a promising plot line and faeries on the go, The Cruel Prince for me is a new world since I haven’t read many fantasy books like this one. It’s intriguing for me and this faerie world gave me a break from my usual YA read.
I actually don’t know how to write a review for this one. I’ve been trying but haven’t gotten anywhere. So, this time I’ll try harder.
“If you hurt me, I wouldn’t cry. I would hurt you back.”
First of all, I want to say that I did enjoy this book. There are strong characters though I can’t say I’m Jude’s biggest fan (or any of them). She’s headstrong but a bit annoying at times though I get where she’s coming from. She wants to be a faerie, more likely wants to prove those who belittles her that she can be better than them so she does everything to acquire power or position in Elfhame. Taryn, Jude’s twin sister, is a miss for me. I get her role in the book but she didn’t quite interest me. She’s a bit immature and I like Vivi more. Now, Cardan is a complex character for me. I didn’t get him and had a hard time figuring him out. I didn’t like him until the latter part of the book and that’s only because I finally understood why he’s such an ass. The others, Cardan’s friends, the other faeries and such, well, I think it’d be better if they were developed as well because I was confused as hell. I didn’t know which is which and that was hard given that I wasn’t familiar with them. The world building was okay, plot line was good, I enjoyed the twists and turns of events and I think the ending was the highlight for me.
Like I said, I haven’t read many books like this one and the idea of faerie world to me is quite exciting. I actually expected more from the world-building but I guess that’s all I’ll get.
“If I cannot be better than them, I will become so much worse.”
Overall it’s an okay read. I couldn’t get into it the first few pages and there were times I got bored but the middle part got me through it. For me, it’s not that world shattering or mind blowing like what others felt but it’s good enough that I want to read the next book. If anything, I think I’m more excited than what I want to admit since the ending left me wanting more. I want to see what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment