Thursday, January 15, 2015

Book: To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

“Love is scary: it changes; it can go away. That's the part of the risk. I don't want to be scared anymore.” 
15749186
★★★★/★★★★★
Synopsis from Goodreads:   
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

After reading this book, it made me move all my letters into somewhere safer. And somewhere no one can find. Even my sisters! Like Lara Jean, I also write letters to people I really can't express my feelings to. I've written a lot of letters waiting to be read by their rightful owner but never in a gazillion years I will send them and let them be read. Never! Or maybe when I'm 60 or 70, just for a good time laugh.

It's my first book of Jenny Han and I loved it. Though I really want more after the ending I guess that's just how some book end. But really, she should've at least written what Lara Jean has to say to Peter. Right?

The books tells the story of Lara Jean who writes a goodbye letter to all the boys she really can't express her feelings to. She writes a goodbye letter for them and after that seals her feelings along with it. One day her letters get delivered to all the boys she's written to and it starts to bring back old feelings. Like when Josh, her sister's ex-boyfriend, gets the letter and talks to her about it. Now that her sister, Margot, is in Scotland for college and she is left with Josh she starts to realize that maybe she's really not over Josh. Because when she's confronted by Josh, she lies to his face about having a boyfriend. Which she doesn't really have. Now she has to convince herself that she's really over Josh and that she would never betray Margot for loving her ex-boyfriend. The story continues as Lara Jean makes a contract with Peter, the first boy on the list she wrote a letter to, and meeting the other boys on the list. Peter agrees to pretend to be her boyfriend just to make Josh see that she's really over him and the things on the letter she wrote doesn't mean anything anymore. Peter goes along with her plan because he too wants to make Genevieve, his ex-girlfriend, to see that she doesn't own him, that he can be with someone who is not her. 
It's a fun read as Lara Jean and Peter continue their little pretend game because you can see that along the way they start to develop, or remember, their feelings for each other. Peter starts to like Lara Jean's little sister, Kitty, and he wakes up a little early than usual just to pick up Lara Jean for school. 

I also love the book because I can relate to Lara Jean. Like her, I also have sisters, three, and like I said I've written letters to different people too but never send them. Though she just wrote letters to all the boys she'd loved before, I write letters to all people in my life. Anyway, the story is good though sometimes Peter confuses me. There are times that you feel like she really likes Lara Jean but then there are moments you want to strangle him because he keeps coming back to Genevieve. Ugh! But then it's so sweet of him to write notes for Lara Jean everyday. 

The book also shows the family of Lara Jean, having no mother, a kind father and two sisters who she wouldn't trade for the world. Lara Jean loves her sisters more than anything in the world that she would rather forget her love for Josh for the sake of Margot. She also becomes more mature as Margot leaves for Scotland because Kitty needs a mother figure and now that Margot is away, she has to be the responsible older sister like Margot always is.  She tries her best to be as good as Margot for Kitty.

Just read the book if you want to know what I'm talking about. It's a good read and I'm sure you'll love it too! :)

01152015

No comments:

Post a Comment