Thursday, August 31, 2017

Book: Tone Deaf by Olivia Rivers

★★★/★★★★★

“She’s probably wondering what just happened, but I’m too rattled to stop and explain things: The more I get to know her, the more I like her. And the more I like her, the more I want her to like me.”  

Okay, so I'll be totally honest with this one because Tone Deaf by Olivia Rivers is one of those books I really wanted to love because it has music, romance, interesting plot line but sadly the characters were a bit disappointing. I was all excited when I picked this up thinking it'll be a great one but it somehow failed to impress me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it but there were things that I found lacking and the romance felt rushed which sucked! 

The book tells the story of Ali who at a young age lost her hearing due to a brain tumor. It took away Ali's chance of being a great musician and around the same time, she also lost her mother, leaving her to her abusive father. Now seventeen, Ali wants to escape the hands of her father so when an opportunity presents itself, who is she not to grab it? Then there's Jace Beckett, lead singer of Tone Deaf. Jace has his own issues but when Ali suddenly comes into his life, or band, he realizes that some pain are worth feeling.

You're the best kind of pain I've ever felt. I've always avoided pain but as much as you hurt, I don't want to leave you.”

 I expected so much from this book and I won't say it didn't live up but the characters irked me a bit especially Jace! Yes, he has his issues but it didn't grant him a pass to be a class A jerk. I initially didn't like him and all through out the book he kept annoying me. He's arrogant and I hated that he can switch character in an instant like one second he's this cold person and the next he's all sweet and what-not. Maybe it was my first impression of him when he first met Ali. But despite Jace, I liked his band mates! Killer is probably my most favorite just because he's hilarious and Arrow, well, he's also my favorite! Ali is a so-so. I liked her at times but sometimes I didn't understand her actions.

The romance between Ali and Jace was sweet. Another insta-love but it was okay, I think, when you meet a rock star and he kinda saved you from a hell-hole that is your life. I loved the music and though I was expecting more of concert scenes and music writing session, I guess what the book had was enough. The ending was fine but it felt rushed! Like I was around 95% but it felt like there were a lot more that could've happened.

Overall, the book was good and I liked that Ali is different from the typical YA characters. It has complex characters and a promising story line but if you don't like insta-love and cheesy romance, well, this has both.


No comments:

Post a Comment