Monday, March 5, 2018

Book: Frostblood (Frostblood Sage #1) by Elly Blake


 ★★★/★★★★★

“Those who can't control themselves will find themselves under the control of others.”

Well, it's not like I didn't enjoy this book but there are some things that didn't quite sit well with me. You may say there's nothing special about this book because you've read something like this before, I have, but there were surprisingly some elements that I did enjoy. The book itself felt unoriginal with all its Fire vs Ice and "the girl" saving the world tropes so in short, this book is your typical YA fantasy. 

The book tells the story of Ruby Otrera, a Fireblood living in a world of Frostbloods. She's probably the last of her kind since the Frost King orders the death of any Fireblood in their kingdom. When she is found by the soldiers, Ruby witnesses the death of her mother and village in their hands. She is then kept in prison for months until two hooded figures visit and offer her freedom. Soon, Ruby is training with Arcus and living in an abbey with the monks with a mission to kill the Frost King.

“Frostbloods are fully capable of feeling in every way. The danger is that those emotions, while powerful and deep, may be covered with a layer of ice that prevents the natural expression of them.”

I didn't instantly liked the characters but Ruby was a so-so. In the beginning she's weak, scarred and the typical heroine who questions the world why she's the chosen one. She doesn't make wise decisions and sometimes too stubborn for her own good. Arcus, I liked less especially when his character shifted from being all too mean to somehow bearable! I mean, one second he's mad at Ruby but the next he's all sweetheart. Argh! I loved the monks so I think there's that. The pacing was sloooow up until the middle of the book where everything started to get intense. There was actually a point when the whole book felt just like a long premise/introduction to the real book!

The world-building is okay since you already know what to expect. The romance, yes there is, felt forced. I think it would've been okay if there was none but there just have to be one! Then there's the division between the Firebloods and Frostbloods, with the former as dominant. Worlds with this kind of divisions always end up in war so we also know what to expect with this kind of trope. And like I said, I did like some things in this book. For starter, I liked the cover! And that counts. Another thing is the myth on how the Frostbloods and Firebloods were created, it wasn't new but I think that was interesting. There's also a bit of the twist I admit I didn't see coming. Aside from those, all the others we just okay for me.

Overall, Frostblood is an okay book. I'll probably read the next book at some point but not soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment