Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Book: Fire Study (Study #3) by Maria V. Snyder


★★★12/★★★★★

 “There’s always another storm. It’s the way the world works. Snowstorms, rainstorms, wind-storms, sandstorms and firestorms. Some are fierce and others are small. You have to deal with each one separately, but you need to always keep an eye on what’s brewing for tomorrow.”

I was able to finish the last book in the Study Series some time weeks ago but only get to write a review now. I can't say I enjoyed it more than the first two books but I guess I was contented with the ending. Fire Study continued the story of Yelena as she became the Soulfinder everybody seemed to fear.

Picking up where the last book left off, Yelena's mission now was to find and recapture Ferde, the soul stealer,  for he has escaped with the help of Cahil. With the aid of Leif and some new friends, she began a journey to chase after Cahil and Ferde and along the way realized that they had much bigger problem than Ferde and Cahil. They now faced a group of magicians who wanted to take over Citadel by using the forbidden Blood Magic. Between trying to save everyone and herself from her fear of the Fire Warper, Yelena was able to finally understand her purpose as a true Souldfinder.

There was a lot going on in this book and sometimes I found myself just wanting it to end. One page I was so engrossed and the next I was bored. I felt like the story was dragged on and it felt like the longest rescue mission ever! Yelena and her friends just kept on being ambushed then captured then they'd be able to escape then repeat. It was kinda frustrating but I told myself to be patient and just wait because I knew something else, something big was going to happen soon. But, but! While at times it was boring, there were parts I really enjoyed! Like scenes with Janco and Ari and Opal. The second half of the book also brought back my interest when Yelena went back to Ixia. I guess that was when the real fight began.

We also got to see a lot more characters in this book like the other Zaltanas, the Vermins, Warpers and some others. And Fisk! He was one of my favorites in the Magic Study and I was glad to see him again in this book. He was a ten year-old beggar turned businessman thanks to Yelena's help. Now he was able to help Yelena in return and he was a really sweet boy.

“No. Things are bad and getting worse. If you’re killed, I have a horrible feeling life wouldn’t be worth living.”

Valek was MIA for most of the time until the latter part of the book as well as his now seconds-in-command, Ari and Janco. I guess I was hoping for their appearance early in the book since I LOVED them but too much for hoping. The duo were still entertaining and charming and I was glad they were still loyal to Yelena. I loved that they cared for her like older brothers, always teasing and teaching her to look after herself. Valek still showed up whenever Yelena needed help. He was the ghost who always watched her and we also got to see some brief romance between them a couple or more times in the book.

“You, me and a couple thousand ghosts? Sounds crowded,” he teased. “At least you already found one soul, love.”
“Moon Man’s?”
“Mine. And I trust you not to lose it.”

Another character I grew to love was Moon Man. He and Yelena became closer in this book and their relationship developed throughout. Yelena eventually came to trust her story weaver, understanding his wisdom and cryptic advice more and more as they spend time together. But it saddened me when Yelena distrusted Moon Man at some point.

“You were looking for an easy road. Which Gede provided. You could have reclaimed me as your Story Weaver at any time.”
“How?”
“You just needed to ask. Or rather begged for my return—much better for my ego.”

Overall, I give it three and a half stars. Yelena has grown so much on me but while I enjoyed the whole series, I don't think I'll be picking up the spin-off series or the new series about Yelena anytime soon.

The whole series has been fun and entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment