Saturday, March 5, 2016

Book: Things We Know By Heart by Jessi Kirby

★★★★/★★★★★

"One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter." - James Earl Jones

This book gripped me so good I didn't want to stop reading. The first few chapters broke my heart because of Quinn's grief but when Colton showed up at her door, I knew it would be so much harder for her and it broke my heart all over again.

The story is about Quinn after she lost her boyfriend, Trent, in a car accident. It was so sudden she wasn't able to say goodbye and next thing she knew, she was reaching out to the people who received Trent's organs. I think it's her way of getting closure that's why it's so important to her. Others replied to her but the guy who got Trent's heart never responded. In desperation, she looked for the guy with only little hints she knew about him and finally, luckily, she found a blog that tells everything about Colton Thomas. Quinn was resolved to just see Colton, not making contact or anything, but some things just don't work the way we want them to. Next thing she knew, she's having a good time and feeling alive again in Colton's company. And it's all she needs to feel guilty over and over again.

My heart ached everytime Quinn feels guilty by being with Colton. I can't blame her because to her it felt like she's betraying Trent but what can she do when Colton makes her alive again? It isn't unfair, I think, because I knew that Trent would want her to be happy again. So I really think that Quinn is just being too hard to herself by tormenting herself with Trent's memories. But I hated that she kept it secret from Colton that long even though she knew that it would eventually come crashing down to her.

“Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back.” -Plato

I also loved the way it was written. I mean, I love words and how Kirby weaves words together makes me love it even more. So much more!
"We lie there watching the fireworks explode and fall around us, and I can feel the boom-crackle of them in my chest, and the heat of his legs tangled up with mine, and with each moment that ticks by, something else grows together. A thing I couldn't have predicted, and now something I can't control over or explain. It's a pull I don't want to fight anymore—I can't fight anymore."

Overall I loved it because it tells us that losing someone shouldn't stop us from living, from feeling alive, and it may be hard but eventually we should learn to move, to let go. It was hard for Quinn but at least she's one step closer to healing by being with Colton now.

“There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.” —Michael Nolan”

No comments:

Post a Comment