Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Book: Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer

★★★★/★★★★★

“And the prince did know her now, sort of. He'd been kind to her at the market. Perhaps he would ask her to dance. Out of politeness. Out of chivalry when he saw her standing alone."

Cinder has been sitting on my TBR pile for a while now and since I was determined to finish off some series this year, I decided to put the it on my list of top 5 series I'll finally, finally, read in 2016! So there I was reading this book and oh my god did I love it! It's probably one of my best reads this year! And to be honest, I didn't expect to love it this much. Maybe a little but not this asdfgfdjhfkdghlhg much! If you know what I mean.

“She was a cyborg, and she would never go to a ball.”

The book centers on Cinder, a sixteen year old mechanic in New Beijing. She can fix anything tech-related and is the best in the field. Also, she's a cyborg. She doesn't really remember her life before the surgery but she knows that she's from Europe and her father, adoptive father, took her home with him five years ago. But it was not long after that her father died because of Letumosis, a plague that's been killing both human and cyborgs alike. Now Cinder lives, works, to be exact, for her stepmother Adri and stepsisters Pearl and Peony. Fortunately she has her very useful android Iko who accompanies and helps her get through everyday. Peony is actually kind to Cinder and they get along well. But when Peony gets infected by letumosis, Adri blames Cinder and soon volunteers her for the cure trials against her will. Meanwhile, Prince Kai has his own problems and is mourning the death of his father caused by the plague. He'd met Cinder on her booth before to ask her to fix his android and obviously there was attraction between them, though Cinder tried to deny it. And now that Cinder is brought to the labs for the trials, she and Prince Kai meet again. Enters Dr. Erland, the scientist conducting the trials. No one survives the trials but surprisingly, Cinder does. It makes Dr. Erland curious and after some research here and there, he finally realizes why. But he keeps his findings to himself only sharing a little to Cinder because he knew it could be dangerous once people learn about this information. After explaining to her, Cinder voluntarily agrees to do the trials thinking it could help Peony and other people. Dr. Erland also lets her leave the labs but to check in once in a while. On the other hand, Queen Levana, the Lunar Queen everyone hates, is visiting the Earth to pay respect to the late Emperor. For so long she and her kind has been threatening the people of Earth and the leaders of the Earth have been trying to make a peace agreement with her but her demands are unbelievable. And now that Kai is to become Emperor, she wants to be Empress. But of course there's no way Kai will agree to marry an evil Lunar like her. That's why Kai is nagging Cinder to finish fixing his android because there's information in there he badly needs that can somehow help him dethroning Queen Levana. And while he's at it, he also starts working his charms on her. Cinder knew she can't accept anything from the Kai, not his princely manners, not his ball invitation, especially not a gift! Besides, Cinder thinks that once Kai finds out that she's a cyborg (yes, he didn't know because neither Dr. Erland nor Cinder has informed him about it), he'll probably be disgusted at her just like everyone else. But when a crucial information gets passed down to her that can probably save Kai from Queen Levana, she doesn't really have much of a choice but to attend a ball and meet the new Emperor even if it means facing the evil Queen Dr. Erland warns her about.

He met her gaze, surprised, as if he'd forgotten who he was speaking with . Then, “You can call me Kai.
She blinked, “Excuse me?
“No more 'Your Highness.' I get enough of that from... everyone else. You should just call me Kai.
“No, that wouldn't be
“Don't make me turn it into a royal command.” He hinted at a smile.
This book is plainly amazing. When I first read the blurb I was intrigued as to how the author would re-tell the story of Cinderella with cyborgs and Lunar people and a plague but surely Marissa Meyer made it work. With the dystopian world she created where there are humans and cyborgs living together and yeah, moon people, she definitely nailed it! It's actually creative, the worldbuilding fantastic and the concept is refreshing for me. The characters are also great and I love Cinder. She's a strong protagonist and Kai, oh my god, Kai! Isn't he charming? Well, he's a prince for one and even if he's not, I think he'd still be charmingly princely!

Not that I have anything against dancing. I can dance. If you want to dance.

 I can talk about Kai all night long about how he's sooo cute and funny and hot and everything but let's move on with the other characters. Iko is another I really love! She's very entertaining and I actually felt really sad for what happened to her. Curse Adri!  Queen Levana, on the other hand, is quite evil but I'd love to read more about her. And maybe I will in the next book. And I know I've talked about Cinder and Kai already but I just really love them both! Together! I love how Kai flirts with Cinder and asking her to the ball is really sweet of him. Those moments they're together are my favorites and though Cinder ends up hurting Kai, we all know what will happen next. Cinder is Cinderella after all.

“I know this is stupid, but part of me felt like if I could come see you today, if I could convince you to go with me tonight, then maybe I could still change things. It's dumb, I know. It's not like Levana cares if I, you know, might have actual feelings for someone.”  

Like I said, this book is one of my best reads this year. It's very engaging and had me all hooked up from the very beginning. There are twists and turns though I've guessed right about some of them early on. Nonetheless, I enjoyed every page of this book and with that kind of ending, who wouldn't get excited to find out what happens next? I have tons of books lined up this month but I don't think I can wait longer to read the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment