Friday, April 29, 2016

Book: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

★★★/★★★★★

"But like you said, anything worth having is worth the risk." 

The Distance Between Us was my second book of Kasie West. The first, The Fill-In Boyfriend, was simple and lighthearted which I loved! This one though, I have mixed feelings since I hated that Caymen was too sarcastic about everything. Sure it was funny but then I guess there are times when you have to be serious about some things.

The story centers around Caymen Meyers, a senior in high school who lives with her mother above their creepy doll shop. Initially, I didn't know what to make of her because she was just too sarcastic so I waited it out. She doesn't really like to inherit her mother's creepy business but having no choice and being less fortunate than the others, and because she loves her mother too much, she keeps her objection to herself. She and her mother also have issues regarding rich people, mocking and making fun of them, and Caymen's rich father who left them has something to do with it. So when Xander Spence walks into their shop, Caymen already knew what kind of a guy he is and immediately puts her walls up. But as Xander continues to show up in their shop, with a pre-sipped hot chocolate and his handsome face, Caymen starts to realize that maybe her mother's and her views of rich people could be different after all.

“Is that your subtle way of saying you missed me last week?"
"I've missed my hot chocolate. I just think of you as the guy who brings it to me. Sometimes I forget your name and call you hot chocolate guy.”

 
I've read, and seen a lot of movies, about poor-girl-rich-boy so this wasn't new to me. And I hate that Xander is rich AND handsome! (He's definitely a book boyfriend!) But isn't that's how it's supposed to be? A rich boy who's going to prove a poor girl that he loves her despite their social standing? That he doesn't care what other people thinks because HE loves HER? Oh, how I wish I have a love story like that! :)

But anyway, back to Caymen. Even though she has doubt towards Xander, thinking he's just using her to rebel against his parents, she still gives him a chance to prove her wrong. She goes along Xander's plan of doing a career day where they would each prepare something that would determine each other's possible career in the future. So they start hanging out, doing career days and having fun at the same time until Caymen sees a photo of Xander and some model-like girl in front of a magazine. And that's when Caymen realizes she's starting to like Xander.

“I hope I'm not turning into that girl, the one who daydreams about a guy she can never have.”

 I guess the reason why Caymen and Xander just clicked was because they both felt like their lives were not their own. Caymen felt obliged to run her mother's store (and to stop her studies for a year or two because of their status) even though she wanted to study science. Xander always had to follow his father's orders and eventually inherit their family business of chain hotels. And despite the difference in their social status, their little similarities have helped them open up and get to know each other better.

I'm giving this only 3 stars because like I said, I hated that Caymen was always sarcastic. She was actually funny, very, but I guess her sarcasm was too much for me. That and the plot was too average. And Xander? Too good to be true! But still, there are actual people like him so why not?

If you want a light and easy (and cheesy) read, give this one a try. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment