Friday, April 22, 2016

Book: I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent #1) by Barry Lyga

★★★★/★★★★★

"Sons aren't their fathers. Not the good, not the bad. Sons get second chances. You don't have to be what your dad is."

I always enjoy thriller and this one I enjoyed so much. I loved it! Jasper "Jazz" Dent is not your typical boy next door and believe me when I say that you wouldn't want him to be the boy next door. Well, he's not a killer, his father is, but that's the point. Just because his father is a killer, everybody thinks he is, too.

What drew me in (aside from reading a good review from a friend's blog) was Jazz's situation, being the son of a serial killer. Of course, it was given that everyone else would think "he's like his father" but he wanted to prove them all wrong. He wanted everyone to see that he can be different, that he can be good even though his father was evil. But growing up with a father like Billy Dent, the world's worst serial killer, Jazz has seen and heard and learned everything a serial killer can do. Billy has taught him things a normal kid mustn't learn. And now that his Dear Old Dad was locked up and a new serial killer was in town, Jazz told himself that he would catch this killer using what his Dear Old Dad has taught him. Because Jazz believed that he wasn't the monster his father think he was. Or what he thought he was.

"He made me what I am," Jazz said. "Bad and good alike. You can't deny that, Con."
"And my parents made me what I am. So what? We get stuff from our parents, but we also get stuff from the world around us. From the people around us. And at the end of the day, we're us."

It broke my heart whenever Jazz thought that he was like his father. That he can kill everyone and that it would be okay. That he can manipulate people and he can easily kill them.  He could, but everytime he stopped himself because there was still a part of him that didn't want to be like his father. His father might have nurtured him to be a killer but a part of him still fought to be otherwise. And that's what made me love him even more. Because he chose to fight despite everything his father has taught him.

"People matter. People are real."

Another thing I love about this book was reading how the mind of a serial killer works. I actually learned a thing or two (and I'm not sure if it was a good or bad thing). The details of the murders were also disturbing and it kinda scared me thinking that there were people who could actually think of doing those things. But nonetheless, I loved the book! 

The plot, the characters and everything else was written perfectly. I can't think of a way it could have been better!

No comments:

Post a Comment