Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Movie: Love, Rosie 2014

The movie is good but the book is much better! I mean, what's wrong with writers changing everything when writing a script based on a book? Okay, maybe not everything, but can't they just stick to what's in the book and write a good script based on what really happened on the book? I say this not only for this one but for all the books made to movies. And what's with authors letting writers change the flow of the story? Okay, the story is still there, of course, but how can they agree to change the characters and the sequence of events and everything. Okay, again, not everything. But, right? I know there are really scenes in the book that are really hard to be made into action but simple scenes that are romantic and sweet and humorous in the book and yet they change it when they put it in the movie? Come on, you can do better than that!

Like on this book, Love, Rosie, which I really really love. I was excited when I first heard that it was going to be a movie because I will finally see Rosie and Alex and everything that happened between them but when I finally saw it, I was a bit disappointed because they changed so much on the script especially on the characters!!! I mean, Rosie has a sister but not brothers. And Greg isn't Katie's father! Phil isn't Sally's brother! He's Alex's! And Ruby? First of all, she and Rosie didn't meet on a drugstore and she's definitely not working there and second of all, she didn't end up with Phil! I also didn't like the flow of the story. Writers should've just stick on what's on the book instead of making new ones. Because Rosie didn't have sex with Greg on their prom (though she did with Brian) and Alex wasn't supposed to be there that night. That was the reason why Rosie got upset and slept with Brian the Whine!

There are also wonderful scenes on the book that they didn't show on the movie. I know it's impossible to put everything on the book into the movie but they should've at least picked the beautiful scenes from the book. Especially that silence thing when Alex and Rosie were at Boston. OMG! They should've put it in the movie because that silence thing is where everything will fall into place!

Love, Rosie page 61-63

At first we had so much to catch up on we were talking a hundred words a second, barely even listening to the ends of each other’s sentences before moving on to the next. And there was laughing. Lots of laughing. Then the laughing stopped and there was this silence. This weird comfortable silence. What the hell was it?It was like the world stopped turning in that instant. Like everyone around us was wiped out. Like everything at home was forgotten about. It was like those few minutes on this world were created just for us and all we could do was look at each other. Itwas like he was seeing my face for the very first time. He looked confused but kind of amused. Exactly how I felt. Because I was sitting on the grass with my best friend Alex, and that was my best friend Alex’s face and nose and eyes and lips but they seemed different. So who was this man that was sending my heart into a frenzy? So I kissed him. I seized the moment and I kissed him. 
- Rosie
___________________________________

Phil: What kind of a silence?
Alex: Just a weird silence.
Phil: Yeah but what do you mean by weird?
Alex: Unusual, not normal.
Phil: Yeah but was it good or bad?
Alex: Good.
Phil: And that’s bad?
Alex: Yes.
Phil: Because?
Alex: I’m engaged to Sally.
Phil: Did you ever have “the silence” with her?
Alex: We have silences...
Phil: So do Margaret and I, you don’t always have to talk you know.
Alex: No this was different Phil. It wasn’t just a silence, it was a ...oh I don’t no.
Phil: Bloody hell Alex.
Alex: I no. I’m all over the place.
Phil: OK so don’t marry Sally.
Alex: But I love her.
Phil: And what about Rosie?
Alex: I’m not sure.
Phil: Well then, I don’t see a problem here. If you were in love with Rosie and not sure about Sally then you’d be in trouble. Marry Sally and forget about the goddamn silence.
Alex: Once again, you’ve put my life into perspective Phil.
___________________________________

This is the scene I'd been wanting to see in the movie but there was no silence. And there was no Rosie working on a stationery company and no Rosie working in a creepy old hotel and no Alex working as a doctor and there was no Josh! Katie also didn't have a lot of scenes where in the book Rosie's life revolved around her. There's also this part of the book where Alex always typed "no" instead of "know" which irritated Rosie that she always had to nag him. I'm also disappointed that they changed Rosie's Best Woman Speech and the letter Alex wrote for Rosie before he went back to Boston!


My “Best Woman” speech

"Good evening everyone, my name is Rosie and as you can see Alex has decided to go down the non-traditional route of asking me to be his best woman for the day. Except we all know that today that title does not belong to me. It belongs to Sally, for she is clearly his best woman. I could call myself the “best friend” but I think we all know that today that title no longer refers to me either. That title too belongs to Sally. But what doesn’t belong to Sally is a lifetime of memories of Alex the child, Alex the teenager, and Alex the almost-a-man that I’m sure he would rather forget but that I will now fill you all in on. (Hopefully they all will laugh.)

I have known Alex since he was five years old. I arrived on my first day of school teary-eyed and red-nosed and a half an hour late. (I am almost sure Alex will shout out “What’s new?”) I was ordered to sit down at the back of the class beside a smelly, snotty-nosed, messy-haired little boy who had the biggest sulk on his face and who refused to look at me or talk to me. I hated this little boy. I know that he hated me too, him kicking me in the shins under the table and telling the teacher that I was copying his schoolwork was a telltale sign. We sat beside each other every day for twelve years moaning about school, moaning about girlfriends and boyfriends, wishing we were older and wiser and out of school, dreaming for a life where we wouldn’t have double maths on a Monday morning. Now Alex has that life and I’m so proud of him. I’m so happy that he’s found his best woman and his best friend in perfect little brainy and annoying Sally.

I ask you all to raise your glasses and toast my best friend Alex and his new best friend, best woman, and wife, Sally, and to wish them luck and happiness and divorce in the future.
To Alex and Sally!"

(Rosie to Alex on his wedding)


Rosie,

I’m returning to Boston tomorrow but before I go I wanted to write this letter to you. All the thoughts and feelings that have been bubbling up inside me are finally overflowing into this pen and I’m leaving this letter for you so that you don’t feel that I’m putting you under any great pressure. I understand that you will need to take your time trying to decide on what I am about to say. I no what’s going on, Rosie; you’re my best friend and I can see the sadness in your eyes. I no that Greg isn’t away working for the weekend. You never could lie to me; you were always terrible at it. Don’t pretend that everything is perfect because I see what’s going on. I see that Greg is a selfish man who has absolutely no idea just how lucky he is and it makes me sick. He is the luckiest man in the world to have you, Rosie, but he doesn’t deserve you and you deserve far better. You deserve someone who loves you with every single beat of his heart, someone who thinks about you constantly,someone who spends every minute of every day just wondering what you’re doing, where you are, who you’re with, and if you’re OK. You need someone who can help you reach your dreams and who can protect you from your fears. You need someone who will treat you with respect, love every part of you, especially your flaws. You should be with someone who can make you happy, really happy, dancing on air happy. Someone who should have taken the chance to be with you years ago instead of getting scared and being too afraid to try. I am not scared anymore Rosie. I am not afraid to try. I no what that feeling was at your wedding—it was jealousy. My heart broke when I saw the woman I love turning away from me to walk down the aisle with another man, another man she planned to spend the rest of her life with. It was like a prison sentence for me. Years ahead without me being able to tell you how I feel or hold you how I wanted to. Twice we stood beside each other at the altar, Rosie. Twice. And twice we got it wrong. I needed you to be there for my wedding day but I was too stupid to see that I needed you to be the reason for my wedding day. But we got it all wrong. I should never have let your lips leave mine all those years ago in Boston. I should never have pulled away. I should never have panicked. I should never have wasted all those years without you. Give me a chance to make them up to you. I love you, Rosie, and I want to be with you and Katie and Josh. Always. Please think about it. Don’t waste your time on Greg, this is our opportunity. Let’s stop being afraid and take the chance. 

I promise I’ll make you happy.

All my love,
Alex

See? There were a lot of great scenes in the book that they didn't include in the movie. :( Too sad I really expected the movie to be as good as the book. It was fine actually though they should've stick to the book. And If I were you, I would read the book to see what I'm talking about! :) It was written by Cecelia Ahern, btw. :)

This is also the reason why I don't like watching Movies based on books. I read the books but I hesitate on watching the movie because it changes everything and it confuses you whether that scene only happened on the book or in the movie. Like The Fault In Our Stars, Divergent, Hunger Games and a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment