Saturday, September 12, 2015

Book: Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen

 ★★★★/★★★★★

 I honestly don't know what to feel about this book. Don't get me wrong, it's good and I love it but there's a part of me that wanted more. 
 ----
 Sydney has never been the star of her family but his brother, Peyton. But when Peyton took a wrong turn on his life, Sydney's life is affected too. Now Sydney feels guilty about what her brother had done and all she wants is for her family to realize that her brother actually did something wrong. Her mother cares so much about Peyton that she sees it like Peyton is only in school not in prison. Enters the Chatham family, who Sydney becomes close with after spending a day in their pizza parlor. Next thing she knows, she's bestfriends with Lyla, the youngest daughter of Mr. Chatham who owns the pizza parlor. And then things gets easier for Sydney with Lyla and his brother, Mac, after all the transferring of school and what happened to her bother. She feels like she can tell them everything and eventually she falls for Mac during those times they deliver pizza everywhere. Her parents, on the other hand, slowly realize that Peyton needs to serve his time for what he'd done. That what happened to him may not happen to Sydney if they become strict to her but then Sydney is not her brother. And her parents just need to trust her. 

It's a really good story of moving on and healing with the help of the people in your life. Because sometimes it's the people who really care that can help you move on. 

“You only really fall apart in front of the people you know can piece you back together.”


I also understand why Sydney's mother wants to reach out to Peyton every chance she gets because he's her son. And it's really hard for any mother to see her son in prison but then he did something wrong so he needs to pay for it. I think Peyton realizes it too. What I don't get is the character of Ames. I think he's there for Sydney's parents to realize that they don't actually pay much attention to Sydney that even though Sydney keeps on telling them that she doesn't need Ames to accompany her at their home when they're away (and that he's creepy) still they don't listen. But I'm happy Ames gets what he deserves in the end.
 
Overall I love the book! Sarah Dessen never disappoints. And I love how Sydney believes in Saint Anything that Mac gave her. :") 

“Who is it?” I asked.
“No idea. I found it in a jar my mom has full of them,” he said. “I was looking for one like mine, then just someone I recognized. But then I thought maybe it was cooler to have it be a mystery, you know? So it’s not just about one thing, but anything. That way, it can be about what you want it to be.”
I turned it over in my hand. Like the image on the front, the back was well-worn, the few words there unreadable. “Saint Anything.” I looked up at him. “I love it. Thank you.”

 091215

No comments:

Post a Comment