Saturday, August 6, 2016

Book: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

 ★★/★★★★★

“People see what they wish to see. And in most cases, what they are told that they see.” 

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it, no paper notices plastered on lampposts and billboards. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.

There are so many ways to describe this book but now that I am writing this all I can seem to tell you is that it was beautiful. And magical!! Honestly, there were times when I didn't know what to make of this book but as I read on I began to realize how much I was loving it. Yes, it was lengthy and slow-paced but when you get to know more of what was happening you'll start to get into it and I don't really mind lengthy books as long as I'm enjoying it. And those descriptions were just too hard not to love! I loved how the black and white circus was described as if I was inside myself, each tent would give you a surreal experience of what was happening inside and the characters were all lovely and unique. And oh, that clock at the very entrance! That being said, Morgenstern truly knew how to give the readers the pleasure of experiencing the circus itself by writing us wonderful descriptions and igniting our imaginations.

Everything was magical. And it seemed to go on forever.

I usually write a lot when I make reviews but I admit I'm having a hard time writing one for this book. The plot actually confused me because Celia and Marco were supposed to be playing a game or having a fierce competition but there wasn't really a game played or a fierce competition that was fought. I was expecting something else and I think a real competition (like showing off magic) would be more interesting and exciting. But, but, but! The descriptions and all were enough to make up for the other issues I have with this book. It was really the circus that win me over! 

There was also romance between Celia and Marco and that was mainly the reason why the game was suddenly stopped. It didn't really end but Cecelia decided she didn't want to play anymore especially when she knew how the game was supposed to end. And then there were Poppet and Widget also my favorites!

“When all of this is over, no matter which one of us wins, I will not let you go so easily. Agreed?” 
“Agreed.”

I get that this book is not for everyone (as I've seen on the reviews) but if you're one of those who really loved this, I can understand why. Though it's not perfect, it was wonderful and magical and I think some people just really love wonderful and magical stories like this one. 

They are enthusiasts, devotees. Addicts. Something about the circus stirs their souls, and they ache for it when it is absent.

No comments:

Post a Comment