Saturday, August 27, 2016

Book Review: Smut by Karina Halle

★★★★/★★★★★

“At this point I’ve probably kissed Amanda a hundred different ways but this kiss is different. This kiss reveres her. In this kiss she should know she’s a goddess, a fantasy priestess, a ruler of my world.”

Okay, so this is just a quick review of Smut but know that I loved this book. It's witty, nerdy and well, smutty!!

I'm new to many romance/new adult authors but I'm happy whenever I read a book from an author for the first time and instantly liked her because of it. I've never read a book by Karina Halle before and the only thing that convinced me to read Smut was all those good reviews I've read about it. And honestly, at first I felt bored reading it but as I read on, well, let's just say I'm glad I read on. 

We can say that this is enemies-turn-to-lovers kind of story. Amanda Newman hates Blake Crawford the moment she sees him in her writing class. Blake, knowing that Amanda hates him, takes every chance he gets to annoy her even more. That said, they can't tolerate each other and it's just their luck that they get paired up for their final project in their writing class. Now they have to work together and though they can't stand each other's company, they have to endure it for the sake of their project. 

I know there are million other enemies to lovers books but you wouldn't help but love this book! It's witty and steamy and I like how Amanda and Blake worked out their relationship. At first they try not to work together as much as possible but as they start to enjoy each other's company and discover how their writing complement each other's, the tension between them, and I mean sexual tension, also start to rise up. And I think they couldn't really help it since Blake is super hot and Amanda may be a nerdy (with red hair and eye glasses) but she still has her own charm, like her ass, as per Blake. When they finish their project and finally submit it, they both know it's the end of their temporary friendship, meaning no more reason to meet up or something. But when Blake realizes that earning money by writing smut could save his father's failing bookstore business, he knew that he needs Amanda's help in writing once more.

There were times I found myself grinning then the next I was laughing out loud! This book will surely give you all the feels especially those, you know, smutty scenes. Haha. But this book doesn't only focus on that because it also shows the struggles of aspiring writers like Amanda. It just goes to show that writing is not for everyone but when you choose to write, you have to give it your all.

I also like how Blake's character developed so well from being a fuckface to a sweet loving man! Beneath his cocky bravado is a nice step-brother and a caring son. He may tease Kevin, his step-brother, but he deeply cares for him. He also worries about the bookstore that he embarks on writing smut just to earn money. And let's not forget about Fluffy! Who knows a tarantula could make me laugh so hard? Lol. Anyway, when it comes to Amanda, he knows exactly what to do with her. They may have started on the wrong foot but he knows how to make things right. That includes writing smut and yes, doing smut.

"It's not new to want to keep shagging a girl-if the sex is good, how can you not? But when she is all you think about, every moment of every day, well then buddy, you have a problem." 

Amanda can be bossy at times but she's endearing. She's a closet nerd and has her own fantasies. After turning down her ex-fiance, she's resolved on just focusing on her studies. She loves writing and wants it to be her career so she works hard. Or write hard. When Blake makes his proposition, her first thought is 'no way I would write smut' but thinking that it could be a way to improve her writing, and since she misses writing with him, she agrees. And then next thing she knows she's living her wildest fantasies thanks to Blake. 

“My idea of romance is a guy who will take me to see an Avengers film and doesn’t mind dressing up like Loki afterwards.”

 So, maybe this is not a quick review after all. Anyway, I recommend this book if you like a good romantic comedy with charming characters and sexy scenes. It's an entertaining read that will make you laugh and laugh some more. And oh, it's smutty too!

"No one should be judged by what they read, nor should authors by what they write."
- Karina Halle

No comments:

Post a Comment