Thursday, October 6, 2016

Book: Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

★★★★/★★★★★

“She wasn't exactly sure when it happened. Or even when it started. All she knew for sure was that right here and now, she was falling hard and she could only pray that he was feeling the same way.”

 My third Nicholas Sparks book and like the first two, I loved it. I've actually watched the movie before but that didn't make me less excited on reading the book. In fact, finishing the book made me love it even more. And I don't think Sparks can write a book I wouldn't like.

When I hear of Nicholas Sparks, the first thing that comes to mind is a romantic story. And then heartbreaking moments and life lessons and cheesy love quotes. But Safe Haven also has a touch of mystery and suspense which made it more engrossing.

The story tells the story of Katie who is running away from her abusive husband, Kevin. Katie and Kevin started off with a good marriage but as time went on, Kevin began to hit her. It went on for years until Katie started planning her escape. She wanted to leave him, she wanted it to stop, so when an opportunity presented itself, she grabbed it. Now she's in Southport, North Carolina trying to live a new life as a waitress. She works to earn money in case she needs to run away again. Enter Alex, a local store owner, and his two kids, Kristen and Josh. Katie regularly visits the store for her needs and after a while finds herself warming up with Kristen and Josh, and eventually to Alex. From there they form a beautiful friendship that soon blossoms into something more. On the other hand, Kevin hasn't given up on finding Katie, or more exactly, Erin, after she left him. He's a mess without Erin so when a new information that is helpful on finding Erin appears before him, he decided he'll take Erin back no matter what.

 I loved that Katie is a strong character. She endured Kevin for so long, hiding all the pain inside. I can't imagine how hard it must be for her but good thing she found a way out. She's brave and kind and I liked that she found Alex. At first she doesn't let her guard down, keeping her distance from others but with Alex and his kids, she finds comfort, she finds a safe haven in them. Then at one point she realizes that she's staring to live and be happy again and though she's still scared that Kevin could find her anytime, she decided to take a risk, to stay and start a new life with Alex, Kristen and Josh.

“‎When she looked up at him, it was suddenly easy for her to imagine that her fears were pointless. That he would love her no matter what she told him, and that he was the kind of man who loved her already and would love her forever.”

Alex, for me, is the perfect husband/father. I mean, he's kind and responsible and sweet and everything! He's actually too good to be true but I want to believe that somewhere, somehow, there are really men like him. He makes Katie feel safe, he makes Josh and Kristen feel safe. He takes care of everyone he loves and I think I want to marry him. Lol. And Josh Duhamel portraying his character in the movie just made him a hundred times more perfect! Josh and Kristen are also sweethearts. And Jo, she's an angel. I mean, she guides and makes sure Katie ends up with Alex. Katie found a friend in her and I'm sure I would've cried a lot reading about Jo if I ever didn't see the movie. Because the twist in her part is unpredictable.

“I truly believe that while love can hurt, love can also heal…”

Kevin is the only thing I hated in this book. He is abusive and crazy and a monster. I was also actually reading This Savage Song and A Monster Calls the time I was reading this and given that TSS and AMC had actual monsters in them, I believe that in this book Kevin is the monster.

The plot, the writing and the characters are all perfect. There are also a lot of twists in this book and though I already knew what happened next, I still can't help but get thrilled. Overall it was a good romantic suspense. A fast-paced story that will surely get you emotionally attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment