Thursday, April 20, 2017

Book: A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab

 ★★★★★/★★★★★

“Love and loss,” he said, “are like a ship and the sea. They rise together. The more we love, the more we have to lose. But the only way to avoid loss is to avoid love. And what a sad world that would be.”

One word: Brilliant. 

Gahd, I really love this series and now that I've finished the last book, I don't think I'll ever be the same again! I mean, after knowing Kell, Lila, Rhy and all the other characters, it's hard to move on! And thinking that their story is already over... no, no, no! But well, Shades of Magic has been an amazing adventure. 

It's been over a week since I finished the book but until now I still have a book hangover. I tried picking up another book right after finishing but I just can't take my mind off Kell. It's a bit crazy, I know, but I needed a while to absorb everything and convince myself that it's really finished. The series is over. And it still makes me frown everytime I tell myself that.  

Everything in this book is just plain brilliant. The characters, the plot, the prose, the worldbuilding, especially the world building! I fell in love with everything the instant I read the first chapter and right there and then I had my new favorite series. And author! 

“Picking out a gift?” asked the captain.
“No.”
“Good, then take this.” He dropped a ring into Kell’s hand.
Kell frowned. “I’m flattered, but I think you’re asking the wrong brother.”


The characters are what made me love this series even more. I've already grown fond of Kell, Lila, Rhy, Alucard and even Holland who broke my heart in this last book. They all had their own moments, times when they had to make crucial decisions and I think that's when their character shone the brightest. Rhy has finally started acting like a prince, wanting to do something to protect his family, his people, his kingdom. Kell is ever the self-sacrificing prince/brother/Antari. (And I fell in love with him all over again!) Lila, well, she's still the best thief out there, always headstrong and  stubborn. I've always liked Alucard since the AGoS but in this book, omg, he stole my heart! And Holland, oh poor Holland. My heart ached for him all throughout.

I also love the interactions between the characters because they always just end up bickering with each other, annoying the hell out of one another. Especially Kell and Alucard! Sometimes Holland too. But those playful moments are what I'll miss most!!!

Her heart was beating hard against her ribs, some primal part of her saying run, and she was running, just not away. She was tired of running away. So she was running into Kell.
And he caught her.


Now let's get to the romance part where oh. my. gulay. Kell and Lila. Lila and Kell. Do I need say more? Because they're perfect. For each other. With each other. From the first book I've been rooting for their romance and finally, finally, Schwab gave us something exciting in this book! And can we also talk about that scene where Kell was teaching Lila some magic words? OH. MY. GOD! I was practically grinning the entire time. And when Alucard walked in on them? It was hilarious!

Moving on, we also have Rhy and Alucard and they're the cutest! I enjoyed every moment they had together especially when Rhy acted all prince-y at first but in the end finally realizing Alucard's true feelings. 

 When Kell Maresh and Lila Bard had first parted ways, he’d whispered the word in her wake, beneath his breath, full of the certainty—the hope—they’d meet again. He’d known it wasn’t an end. And this wasn’t an end, either, or if it was, then simply the end of a chapter, an interlude between two meetings, the beginning of something new.

 Overall, I'm very satisfied with this series. Schwab didn't disappoint and that ending is just... perfect! I honestly had to stop myself a few pages away from the ending because I just didn't want it to end. I love this series that much! I guess I wasn't just ready for it to end that I tried to draw it out for as long as I could. But of course, it had to end. 

Anyway, I know I only ended up fan-girling without even coming up with a proper review but there's really only one word to describe this book and it's brilliant. So read it, you guys!

And, well, Anoshe.

No comments:

Post a Comment