Thursday, April 13, 2017

Book: The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion

★★★/★★★★★

“I asked you here tonight because when you realise you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”

The Rosie Project had been sitting on my TBR for years now and I'm just glad I was finally able to get around it. It's one of those book I read at night, on my bed, before sleeping, which made me smile and sometimes giggle. The first hundred pages were a slow read for me, but enough to entertain and get me glued to the story.

Don Tillman, an Associate Professor of genetics, is looking for a suitable life partner and thinks that the best way to find one is to create a questionnaire. He's socially challenged, awkward around people and lets logic rule his life rather than emotions. Certain that he'll be able to find the perfect wife using the questionnaire, he starts handing them out, posting them on sites and attending speed-dating. He also turns to his friend Gene, a Psychology Professor, for help since he's experienced when it comes to human relationships. Then one day, Don meets Rosie, a strong-minded and cheeky girl who is his exact opposite. Rosie smokes, is always late, drinks like a man and is totally unsuitable for him but something about her makes Don wants to spend time with her.

“I haven’t changed my mind. That’s the point! I want to spend my life with you even though it’s totally irrational. And you have short earlobes. Socially and genetically there’s no reason for me to be attracted to you. The only logical conclusion is that I must be in love with you.” 

This book is actually charming and I don't hate Don but sometimes he annoyed me. I mean, yes, he's socially awkward and all but his actions are sometimes too frustrating! But despite that, I like that he recognizes his talents and uses them. He's smart, logical and though he's a creature of habit, he's willing to change and he tries after meeting Rosie.

“Humans often fail to see what is close to them and obvious to others.”


I liked a lot of things about this book but I think I wasn't smitten by it. It was a fun read, the characters are endearing but the plot is somewhat predictable. Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading this book. There were times I felt like the story was dragged but nonetheless, I enjoyed reading this book. I also read that it has a sequel but I think I'm putting that one aside for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment