Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Book: Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2) by Leigh Bardugo

★★★★12/★★★★★

“I would have come for you. And if I couldn't walk, I'd crawl to you, and no matter how broken we were, we'd fight our way out together-knives drawn, pistols blazing. Because that's what we do. We never stop fighting.”  

I knew the moment I finished Six of Crows I had to read this book right away! I loved the first book but Crooked Kingdom took my love for it to a whole new level. I mean, oh my god Kaz and his crew! It's been a crazy ride this book and every twist and turn will make you love it more. Like seriously!

So we're back with Kaz and his crew after they broke in and out of the Ice Court. It was a suicide mission, an impossible heist, but thank all the Saints they got what they came for (more or less) in the form of Kuwei Yul-bo. They were to get their reward that could make them rich beyond their wildest dreams when Van Eck crossed them. Uh-oh, not a good idea. But Kaz is smart and he'd somehow expected that to happen so he had a plan. The only problem was he made a teeny tiny mistake that caused them to lose Inej. Now they're plotting to get Inej back and make Van Eck regret crossing them. And when the news about jurda parem spreads and reaches the leaders around the world, Kaz needs all the help (and tricks) he can get to protect Kuwei and rescue Inej at the same time. To make things a lot messier, Van Eck teamed up with Pekka Rollins and if Kaz gets lucky, he can get Inej back, can protect Kuwei, make Van Eck pay and finally get his revenge to Pekka Rollins all at the same time.

My gahd! This book is a masterpiece! If the first book managed to wow me, this book, this book!!! has blown me away. The character development is superb and every character deserves a round of applause! *clap clap clap* We have a wonderful and awesome world building and of course there's Bargudo's brilliant writing style.

“Have any of you wondered what I did with all the cash Pekka Rollins gave us? 
Guns? asked Jesper.Ships? queried Inej.Bombs? suggested Wylan. Political bribes? offered Nina. They all looked at Matthias. This is where you tell us how awful we are, she whispered.

Kaz, Inej, Nina, Matthias, Jesper and Wylan. These six people has grown so much in this book, each carrying a role that is crucial to the group. Their every action affects the group and I think that's why I love them so much because they work perfectly together and yes, they might've done some mistakes but they regret and learn from it because they knew that their lives depend on every action they do. Kaz is as cunning as ever, still giving the orders and running things around. When Ketterdam turns its back on him, he makes sure to make every person responsible pay and to get his home back. Inej is braver and more determined after what Van Eck did. She's still that strong-willed girl who believes in her friends. Nina and Matthias are lovely in this book! I love those witty banters Nina always throws Matthias and I have to admit that Matthias has somehow started to sound like one of them everytime they plot something. Jesper still has his sense of humor and I don't think I can love him any more than I already do. Wylan becomes more confident now (latter part) and he's still adorable. It made me laugh every time Jesper teases him and I love them both, you guys!! I think they're cute together. Six people, several cons, hundreds enemies, this book is crazy exciting and I dare you not to get hooked after everything!

“How many times have you told me you're a monster? So be a monster. Be the thing they all fear when they close their eyes at night.”

Cons upon cons, trick after trick, this book has a lot of twist and turns that will surely surprise you. There were times when I thought I knew how things will turn out but of course, Leigh Bardugo will prove me wrong. She made Kaz so cunning it was impossible to predict what he's thinking. And I'm in love with him because of that.

“Nina glanced from Inej to Kaz and saw they both wore the same expression. Nina knew that look. It came after the shipwreck, when the tide moved against you and the sky had gone dark. It was the first sight of land, the hope of shelter and even salvation that might await you on a distant shore.”

Dark, violent, entertaining and brilliant, Crooked Kingdom just proves to be one of the best sequel ever! It's a bit lengthy but I didn't mind because I enjoyed every page of it. I rooted for them every step of the way from rescuing Inej to auctioning Kuwei. Honestly, I want more of Kaz and his crew but well, can't do anything about it. This book is truly a page turner, something you won't be able to put down because you're eager to know what happens next. It'll make you laugh, excited, frustrated, will give you the feels and yes, it'll make you cry because of Matthias, oh Matthias! My heart broke for Nina and after everything they'd been through, I can't believe Matthias didn't make it to the end. *sobs*

Go home to Ravka, Nina. Be free, be as you were meant to be. Be a warrior, as you always have been. Just save some mercy for my people. There has to be a Fjerda worth saving. Promise me.

Now let's talk about Kaz and Inej. Oh my god, those two! I'm not sure whether I should be satisfied with their ending or not because I want mooooore! I know the two of them touching (holding hands) is already too much for the both of them but come on! A hug, maybe? But either way, I'm really really glad for Inej and Kaz, well, may the Saints guide him as he build his empire now that he got his money! And revenge.

Overall, this book is one of the best I've ever read and I can't recommend this book enough! So do yourself a favor and pick up Six of Crows then READ this book! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment