Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Book: Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer

★★★★★/★★★★★

“Captain?
Yeah?
Do you think it was destiny that brought us together?
He squinted and, after a thoughtful moment, shook his head. No. I'm pretty sure it was Cinder.”

 I managed to finish this book early this year but wasn't able to write a proper review until now. Actually, I was planning on finishing Winter first before writing a review for both but I don't think I'll get around Winter anytime soon since I'm still stuck with my other books. Anyhow, I'm writing a review for this now and I can say that I loved it but not as much as Scarlet which is my favorite in the series so far.

Continuing where Scarlet left off, the third book finally introduces Cress, the brilliant hacker girl who contacted and informed Cinder about Queen Levana's plan on killing Prince Kai even after they get married. After the attack on Earth by a Lunar army of wolf-like creatures, Scarlet and Wolf have also joined Cinder and Thorne on their ship and they are forced to go into hiding in space. While forming a plan on how to stop Prince Kai from Marrying Queen Levana, Cinder and the others are able to contact Cress again and since she can be useful to them and she's willing to help anyway, they decided to rescue her in the satellite where Sibyl Mira has been keeping her hostage. Of course Thorne willingly agrees to help save a damsel in distress so they execute a rescue mission and everything seems to be going right until something happens which causes them to lose Scarlet, Thorne and Cress. Now Cinder is left with a wounded Wolf and a Lunar guard named Jacin. 

“Captain,” she murmured. “I think I’m in love with you.”
An eyebrow shot up. She counted six beats of his heart before, suddenly, he laughed.
“Don’t tell me it took you two whole days to realize that. I must be losing my touch.”

 There are a lot of reasons why I enjoyed this book but I think the main reason is Captain Thorne. I mean, how can you not love him with all that sense of humor and charm? He's really adorable and I liked how nice and sweet he is to Cress. Cress, on the other hand, is a genius when it comes to computers and somehow a romantic. She's sure that Captain Thorne is who she was waiting for all her life to save and sweep her off her feet. She's a dreamer and her imagination gets the best of her. I actually love that she's not your typical heroine and she's so cute she complements Captain Thorne's personality so well. Then there's also Cinder and Kai, of course! With the wedding preparations and everything, Kai is all stressed out and frustrated especially when Queen Levana keeps on threatening the Earth with her Lunar army. My heart is still aching for Cinder for she's trying her best to stop the wedding and save the Earth at the same time. It's a lot for her but she shew she has to do something. And between trying to find her friends and Dr. Erland, she also worries about Prince Kai who also worries about her. Scarlet and Wolf don't have a lot of appearance in this one but I love them the same. I think Wolf grows a lot in this book and his relationship with Cinder might've gone down hill in the first part but towards the end they learn to understand each other. Another awesome character is Iko and she actually has a big role in this book. She's funny and I liked it everytime she and Jacin, who I will discuss later, bickers.

 Aside from all the endearing characters, it's well plotted, action packed and very exciting. The turn of events will surprise you and you wouldn't help but get engrossed with every page you turn. Meyer surely did a good job with this series and every book is special in their own way.

By the end of the book almost every character is already introduced. Cinder and Kai, Scarlet and Wolf, Cress and Thorne, and Jacin is introduced at the beginning as a Lunar guard who along the way changes allegiance and decided to help Cinder and her friends instead. We also see a little of Winter who is Queen Levana's step daughter. She's a little creepy to be honest and I'm yet to read her story in the next book. It also turns out that she's keeping Scarlet with her and I can't wait to know what happens next.

“You serve the queen,” she said. “How can I trust you?”
His lips twitched, like she's make a joke, but his eyes were quick to harden again. “I serve my princess. No one else.”
The floor dropped out from beneath her. The princess. His princes.
He knew.

If you haven't read the series, you better start now because it's amazing! Highly recommended for those who love good re-tellings with well developed characters, good world building and interesting plot lines. 

Read my full review of Cinder here and Scarlet here.

No comments:

Post a Comment