Sunday, December 11, 2016

Book: Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

3.75/5stars

“All children, except one, grow up.”

  
Peter Pan movie has always been my favorite and I love Peter and Wendy! I admit I found their story a bit heartbreaking but it's a wonderful story nonetheless!! :) And I know it rarely happens but I also found the movie better than the book. 

“All the world is made of faith, and trust, and pixie dust.” 

I really enjoyed Peter's story as well as his and the Lost Boys' adventures in Neverland. Wendy showing up with Michael and John just made it more exciting and bizarre. For me, Peter Pan is really an interesting character for he never wants to ever grow up, always wanting to just have some fun and adventure. He's arrogant, he fights pirates, flies around, befriends mermaids and run things around Neverland. The Lost Boys look up to him and together they make their adventures. Tinkerbell is also one of my favorites! She's ill-tempered, jealous, and I liked it everytime she's pissed off at Peter and spits out, "You silly ass!" She's mischievous but very fond of Peter and helps him everytime. 


I somehow feel sad for Peter for he has no strong ties to reality. He thinks that as long as he stays as a boy, then he can be free of any responsibility. He forgets important things and people and he's always carefree, not taking things seriously. With Wendy, he found a mother figure, one that could tell them thrilling stories, tuck them to bed and help them clean. Wendy is a wonderful character for she really cares for Peter and the Lost Boys. She might have enjoyed Neverland and wanted to stay, but she knew what's real and that they must come home to their parents. 

You won't forget me, Peter, will you, before spring cleaning time comes?

I'll also mention Captain Hook because a tv show I'm watching, Once Upon A Time, has him as one of the main characters and there I love him so much! He's not as callous as novel-Hook but he's still a pirate and he's, well, gorgeous (played by Collin O'Donoghue). I can also understand Hook's hatred for Peter and as he said, it's Peter's cockiness that puts him off, because Peter, really, can be cocky most of the time.

Like I said earlier, Peter and Wendy's ending broke my heart. It's really sad and the fact that Peter did forget Wendy somehow, oh my god! :( How could you, Peter! 

 
Peter Pan and Wendy will always be my favorites and no matter how sad their ending is, I'll never get tired watching the moving over and over again. Lol.

Oh, all right, he said at last, and gulped. Then he unbarred the window. Come on, Tink, he cried, with a frightful sneer at the laws of nature; we don't want any silly mothers; and he flew away.


There could not have been a lovelier sight; but there was none to see it except a little boy who was staring in at the window. He had had ecstasies innumerable that other children can never know; but he was looking through the window at the one joy from which he must be for ever barred.

No comments:

Post a Comment