Saturday, January 30, 2016

Book: An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

★★★★★/★★★★★

“There are two kinds of guilt. The kind that's a burden and the kind that gives you purpose. Let your guilt be your fuel. Let it remind you of who you want to be. Draw a line in your mind. Never cross it again. You have a soul. It's damaged but it's there. Don't let them take it from you.”

First of all, I want to say that I have my new favorite series. 
Second, Laia is a strong and brave girl.
Third, Elias is a good person.
Fourth, Commandant is a wicked, heartless woman.
Lastly, I applaud Sabaa Tahir for writing this wonderful book.

An Ember in the Ashes is one heartbreaking and powerful book. It captivated me the moment I started reading it and now that I finished it, I can no longer wait for the next book!

The story is told alternately by Laia and Elias, a slave and a Mask in Blackcliff.
Laia is a strong-willed, brave girl who will do everything, even to be a slave to the heartless Commandant of Blakcliff, just so she could help break her brother, Darin, out of prison. Elias, on the other hand, is one of the best Masks at Blackcliff where power, loyalty and brutality rule everything. It's the one place he doesn't really want to be in but doesn't have a choice since he was chosen to be there. He's been inside Blackcliff almost all his life, training and planning his escape one day. These two characters will show us how to fight, to be brave, to stand for what we believe in, to fail but stand again and to never stop having hope. Because as long as there's life, there's hope.

This book made me realize how lucky I am to be living in a world like this and not inside a world like Blackcliff. Because I really don't know how I could survive like Laia or Elias or anyone in the book if I were them. But then I realized that there are actually places in this world like Blackcliff where people suffer and die on the hands of brutal and heartless people. It's sad to think that there are really people who abuse their power and enjoy the pain of others.

Heartbreaking it may be, this book is one hell of a book. I can't imagine how Sabaa Tahir managed to write a book as good as this. It's definitely a must-read!

Veturius smiles that knife's-edge smile. "Look at us," he says. "Scholar slave and Mask, each trying to persuade the other they're not evil. The Augurs do have sense of humor, don't they?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment