Thursday, October 1, 2015

Book: When by Victoria Laurie

★★★★/★★★★★
Okay, let me check my emotions first. Breathe in. Breathe out. Yeah, I'm fine. Because this one is pretty overwhelming.

I fell in love with this book the moment I saw the cover. It's striking and I got the feeling that I will love it. And sure enough, I did.

Again, I haven't read much of mystery novels so this is new to me. I'm more of a fantasy/romance/adventure/science-fiction/action kind of girl so yeah, it was right to pick this up. 

The idea was good and so were the characters. I felt connected with the characters that I was crying when Maddie was crying. I felt frustrated when Faraday and Wallace were accusing her and Donny was my new boyfriend. I just loved him so much I want him to be real. And Mrs. Duncan was the sweetest!

It was  so frustrating I wanted to jump inside the book and make everything right! I mean, I was at the edge of losing it the whole time because nothing was going right with Maddie. She was so helpless that I wanted to hug her myself. Poor girl.

Four stars. More like 4.5, really. I don't know where the other half star went but I'm sure it had something to do with Rick. And I wished the author inserted more Maddie and Aiden scenes.

The last scene was perfect. Maybe it was my sucker-for-love-story side but it was perfect.
 ----
I took a deep breath and let it out. I felt in my heart that I could tell him. “Your deathdate is July sixth, twenty eighty-four.” And then I grinned so big I had to look away.

“What?” he asked again, knowing there was more.

I lifted my chin to look at him again. There was a secret I’d kept to myself about Aiden’s deathdate and why it’d felt like magic when I’d first seen the beautiful boy with 7-6-2084 on his forehead. “What?” he repeated with a chuckle, trying to coax it out of me.

“It’s the day after mine,” I confessed.
----
Just then a soft breeze came sweetly up the drive, lifting that halo of soft curls around Aiden’s forehead, and in a magical instant, I saw a series of other numbers dance across his skin. They appeared in the space between us as if they were as much for me as they were for him. Behind each new date was a glimmer of insight. There were dates for movies and dances and graduations and marriage and children and anniversaries and so much more.

And in that enchanted moment, as I watched the dates skipping lightly across Aiden’s forehead, instead of death, all I saw was…

Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment